Being Prepared for Coronavirus
While we all work through the coronavirus, Town of Millinocket officials suggest that we all take steps to prepare.
Steps to take now:
- Have a 2-week supply of food on hand, especially non-perishable items
- Make sure you have a 2-week supply of prescription drugs on hand and any non-prescription drugs you use regularly
- Buy personal care items, laundry, and dish detergent
- Keep your cell phone charged and clean it regularly
- Do not share utensils, phones, etc. with anyone who is ill
How to keep yourself and your family healthy:
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water, especially after coughing and/or sneezing. Scrub for at least 20 seconds. This is a good opportunity to teach your children how to properly wash their hands.
- Avoid touching your nose, mouth, eyes, and face where germs can spread.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick, and when possible, stay away from crowded rooms.
- If you are sick, keep your distance from others: if possible, stay home when you are not feeling well.
- Cover your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing to avoid spreading illnesses.
- Practice good health habits: get plenty of rest, exercise, keep hydrated by drinking water, milk and juice and eat nutritious food.
- If you had contact with a possibly infected person and begin to experience unusual coughing, trouble breathing or fever, contact your primary care physician by telephone for further instructions. Do not go to the doctor’s office or hospital without calling first. They need to prepare for a possibly infected person.
A few words about masks:
If you are coughing, have been diagnosed with the flu or coronavirus, using a mask will help minimize the spread of disease. However, most masks available in local stores will not protect a wearer who is not infected.